Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Go down

Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  bakuhasu on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:01 pm

*Sorry about the repost wrong topic to post in*

Alright guys sorta want to start up the thread with my little 2 cents review on the 2010 anime I have viewed so far...With 2009 gone 2010 seems to be a horizon in the land of anime. With Big titles and anticpated anime going on...WHAT THE HELL LET's GET ON TO IT!!!

Alright first I would like to only focus on the 1st episode of each new anime. Whether it plays out good, I will continue, if it does not or doesnt intrigues me I won't. Hype will also be another factor whether I would like to continue just to see what's going on. Alright lets get into it!

Sora no Oto: WHA!!! This is K-ON! The main premise for how this goes, is girl (I'm not good with names in anime)joins the military with a trumpet just to learn music. Her motive due to another "blonde" hair girl (don't worry this is pretty much the 1st episode) "motivates" her to go to the military in search of music. She then goes onto this village with a tradition with the golden trumpet and some demons, that you know will serve as a plot device throughout the whole series. Not to mention that this anime feels alot like K-ON! with it's cast of female characters. WIth the K-ON! esque style (not done by Kyoto Animation) I think this anime does pretty well in establishing the universe but yet establishes any depth in terms of a first episode.

Verdict: Good, but don't seem to find anything to keep going



Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu: Ahhh the Moe crowd gets another one of their infestation of Moe anime. BUT that doesn't mean that this anime is bad. It's actually Fuc*&in good! To my surprise this anime not only establishes the atmosphere and concept but they went straight to the point in going in the first step in advacing the overall plot. Alright Kamina Aya... I mean Akihisa Yoshii is placed in the F class not sure what that means? Check this anime out. Basically being the F class in such a good school in where he goes is the bottom of the bottom of the heap. With dissatisfaction raging inside class F, They then declare war through the whole school, with the use of ESM's of course. I'll wrap this review up by saying that though Moe this anime is one of the fine examples that you can use such a overused concept such as students fighting in a school w/ powers X, and Y but using it and meshing it well into such a fine product. Sure this is nothing new but anime itself borrows alot of concepts and it seems that the school days genre isn't going anywhere.To Rekka in the forums THIS IS GOOD!
Verdict: It's good and would like to see where the characters go with my whole judgement on the 1st episode.



Durarara!!: Just how many "ra" are in this anime? 3 I counted...Alright just putting something in the air I HAVE NOT WATCHED BACCANO AT THE TIME I AM TYPING THIS!!! with that out here we go... Ok first not watching Baccano but reading the main premise at ANN had pretty much given me the story structure in this anime. Sorta like different stories with different focuses of that character in different situation, but living under the same place that is Ikebukuro. I may be wrong but what about the first episode? Well I can't say anything for sure. Serves as a great introductory episode when it comes to giving background towards the characters, (introducing them), give the whole dark tone of Ikebukuro, and also put out events that leads to more question. That's pretty much it in the first episode. Can't say much but....

Verdict: I am going on with this because the style of the anime that is drawn just fits the crime and gritty nature. Also would like to see the reveal of the whole cast and how they interject with the course of this anime.



Ookami Kakushi: As the crimson night sky appears you will see a girl with a fox mask shoving a scythe at your head. Based on a PSP game not released too long ago with the story by Ryukishi07 (Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Umineko no Naku Koro Ni), and Character Designs by Peach Pit (DearS, Shugo Chara) and the best animation that Ryukishi07's anime has received so it might seem that everything might go for it.....well... Hmmm judging how they structure on this first episode, it seems like your traditional Ryukishi07 type or any other horror based anime. But what makes Ryukishi07 stands out is that they incorporate moe. That aside this episode incorporates some moe, moe with some comedy, moe, guy dies, preview, more MOE. Did I mention that there is moe involved? O Oh right... What also makes this a Ryukishi07 cliche' is that the main protagonist always have to learn about his environment. Where this environment has a dreaded/ brutal past, and some sort of conspiracy with the supernatural, something abnormal definitely is in the air and then.... confrontation.

Verdict: Though really underwhelmed with the 1st episode you can't really judge it. It follows all the anime horror staples in the traditional sense of incorporating the elements listed above. Again this anime does leave alot so you can continue on so that I'll do.



Last edited by bakuhasu on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  Leader on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:22 am

The last one was very cinematic Very Happy won't be watching most of these though D:
avatar
Leader

Posts : 101
Join date : 2009-09-26
Age : 24
Location : Ashburn, VA

View user profile http://rrfdp.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Baku's 2nd Episode Anime reviews of Winter 2010!

Post  bakuhasu on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:47 pm

Hey there Baku here again with another update ( Like anybody is going to look at this thread...) But I do it because I love you guys and it takes one week as of this post for AAA to give their input for the podcast.Alright I did not continue one anime and that is Sora no Oto. The reason being is listed above. This is my impressions of the 2nd episode of the new seasons of flowing anime that is winter of 2010. Alright get your cup of tea (apparently I'm drinking some fine leaves right now) and HERE WE GO!!!

Alright first...

Baka to Test no Shoukanjuu: Alright I had to say I gave this particular episode 2 two views (just because I had a friend over and could not concentrate on this anime fully..) My initial thoughts of the 2nd episode was rather a underwhelming experience. Reason? I just didn't like where this anime is heading (as I predicted...) and that is comedy this and that, more so fanservice (namely trap fanservice) this and that, and that is pretty much is the 2nd episode. That was what I couldn't accept. The 1st episode is good just because of the sheer amount of detail namely animation, variety of character personas, and getting to the 1st point in one swell swoop. I dig this whole aspect and the atmosphere, and this whole school aesthetic of things. I decided to give this another go... I was mildly impressed.. As for my second run, I saw that this anime does try to hint obvious character relationships, and to show off the sheer power that is class A, it all falls apart with the comedy, slapstick, moe, and the backstory in the beginning of the episode that didn't move up in my enjoyment for this episode.

Verdict: DAMMIT I'LL WATCH EPISODE 3...AND I'LL REPORT IT HERE.....



Durarara!!: MAN O MAN! @Mitsugi if you are reading this... YOU ARE RIGHT.. Apparently our parent of this podcast of this forum has stated that this anime is definitely is going to be one of the good ones of this Winter season and HE IS RIGHT! (Well obiously...) Ok first off 2nd episode. I was hooked. I just would like to say for the people who is into the whole psychological anime, this is IT? If this is a taste of what Baccano can offer (I HAVE NOT WATCH THE SERIES YET) then damn! But then again I am being really over exaggerated when it comes to the 2nd series of a series I'm not even 100% familiar with. Ok on to this anime. Episode 2 might as well be episode 1. But then you need to watch episode 1 to get episode 2 due to a specific "incident". Basically this episode does alot of back story of a specific character ( Glad I was right on what I'm getting into...), with a narrator to clarify the psyche of this character through the courses of events that led up to her suicidal attempt. With characters with suspicious looks and more so attempts and not to mention thank GOD the Grim reaper is working for a good cause. I was hooked at the whole back story, more so the characters that are hinted and introduced to later introduced on later episodes, and how and why these events mingle with each other ( if you haven't watch the movie Crash fix that).

Verdict: Damn F**king good, would continue just because how well this is structured and would like to see this structure or twist in the oncoming episodes...



Finnally!!!!


Ookamikakushi: Alright where are we? O right the crimson sky filled with the wolves as white as snow howling and crimson eyes reflected by the moon like an orchestra molded into a work of art... Sad thing this anime is not... Beautiful but then getting nowhere. I think now ( just to side track a bit) I am not fully satisfied with 07thExpansion's decision ( not that I think it's their fault) when releasing an anime adaptation of a recent psp visual novel. This is the same thing for Umineko. I'll give you, 07thExpansion my view on this.. and that is "Quality over Quantity" PLEASE! O right on to the 2nd episode. Nothing comes to a surprise when it comes to developing the characters, the atmosphere, and events. A safe introductory route but then this is the kind of stuff I have seen numerous of horror animes especially it comes to the stuff that you guys did with Higurashi. Forgive me if I compare this to Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. Again it picks up where the first episode left off, with questions yet again floating in the air waiting to be answered. Nothing really explained, but concentrating more so on the characters by incorporating mindless tsundere moments, comedic moments that didn't make me chuckle, and less on the whole conspiracy that is the city that they moved to...

Verdict: With lolicon relationships developing, I think this anime has pretty much on the bottom of m-


Wait....



O MY



GAWD!!



and so...?



I Don't



like where this is going....



Guess I'm watching Episode 3...
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  Mitsugi on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 am

Wonderful post Baku. Thanks also for pointing out that I was spot on about Durarara. I think it might have been more obvious than most considering how good Baccano! is, but still.

We are going to cover these anime as well as they more towards 25% completion. I think only a couple are that far along as of this moment.

I guess we'll find out if our thoughts and your thoughts coincide. Smile
avatar
Mitsugi

Posts : 473
Join date : 2009-07-23
Age : 33
Location : Orlando, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  Rekka on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:14 am

Cool list baku =D I'll make sure to watch Baka to Test no Shoukanjuu ^^
avatar
Rekka

Posts : 153
Join date : 2009-12-09
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dance in the Vampire Bund......

Post  bakuhasu on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:19 am

Hey guys back for another 2010 anime review because I sorta found the niche in doing it and thus found enjoyment out of it.
Alright here YA GO!

Dance in the Vampire Bund: I have only saw the first 2 episodes of this.. With my reactions saved for later, I think imma go ahead with the first episode. The first episode probably should serve as an introduction, no I mean literally... What I mean by that is it takes a modern day Japanese TV show and positions the audience (meaning me and you) into what to believe whether vampires exist or not, with the use of debate of different people from different professions. Ok what I have to give is that, though fresh, it doesn't make me enjoy the overall first episode. This first episode also incorporates some really ground breaking logic ( Probably near Kinoko Nasu's standard) in introducing the Vampires, their motives and reasons for why are they in the modern day Japan just suddenly appearing. Not going too much into that, I will give out there is a minor twist at the end of this episode.

Verdict: Pretty average in terms of a first episode, I can see where the direction in where this is taking: ground this whole atmosphere with Vampires and mesh them with reality. That works but as for enjoyment for the first episode.... "Meh"...

EP 2 : So what I've got was basically the main premise of the story was Vampires are going to rise again and all that boring crap. But this episode starts with a childhood pinky swear in a beautiful rendered background of flowers. Sadly this anime isn't displayed in HD making my enjoyment slightly less enjoyable ( I know I'm spoiled). Alright with the back story that is placed in the beginning of the second episode. The whole anime shifts focus towards the character Akira voiced by Yuuichi Nakamura ( Clannad: Tomoya Okazaki, Gundam 00: Graham Aker, Macross Frontier: Alto Saotome) yes that is pretty much the reason why I watched this anime is because of him. It's good to see Yuuichi voicing a highschooler again... Alright back on track it seems that the main doesn't like or accept the whole conspiracy behind vampires. It's everywhere in his world much like how Kira was in the news all the time when he appeared. With rumors everywhere it really got to him in his stomach. Literally... With an obvious placed encounter between Akira and Loli Vampire princess who happens to OMGWTFBBQ any vampire because she is the ruler of all vampires and actually could COMMAND vampires to die instantaneously, things start to fall apart for this whole episode. Yes sure Baddies are hinted here and there given the nature of this anime, but this Loli princess breaks the whole show with her appearing very often which really strikes me as annoying ( it's like seeing kids everyday you know what it's like right?). Not only that I think episode 2 finds every excuse to try to get this loli to take her clothes off and YES you do see loli vampire's t*ts ( If the opening of this anime does not tell you they want this loli naked then you're an idiot). Sigh* The end fight has to be stuck there with the protagonist unleash some kind of UNSURPRISING power (*ahem* werewolf going to twilight are we?) to end the whole episode with him naked holding the loli in his arms..... CHRIST....

Verdict: By far the weakest 2nd episode of all the anime I have seen so far of this season. And if I'm not comparing them it's just a loli clusterf*ck. I have to give it to them that loli is surely F@P material that and that only. But I think I'm being a little too harsh. I liked the aspect of them being childhood friends because that background was just well animated. But all that is just icing on poo shat by a loli (hmm sorta makes sense does it....) . Nothing stands out much and now I WOULD NOT continue just because I don't really care and also can predict the direction that this anime is going into. So that my friends concludes it.. Now I think imma play more of that Tsukihime w/ Developed Vampire t*ts.

avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  The Green Gentleman on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:57 am

Loli vampire, you say? Damn, I'm hooked without watching it.

Ookamikakushi was a bit of a let down for me with its opening episodes, because as I acually had ideas for where the plot may lead, I was quite disappointed. I'll follow it through to see if theres any OMFGPLOTTWIST moments, but I dunno..

Started Shugo Chara though, so I didn't get around to any of the others. Again, great reviews Smile
avatar
The Green Gentleman

Posts : 89
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 25
Location : Brisbane, Australia

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/the.green.gentleman

Back to top Go down

It's here... 3rd EPISODE REVIEWS!!!!

Post  bakuhasu on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:21 am

Alright back again for another and MAYBE final review of the beginning of the 2010 season of new releases. So first......

Baka to Test no Shoukanjuu: Alright I have to give it this. It made me LOL. This 3rd episode really tickles anyone's funny bone who have absolutely no mindset in taking this anime seriously. Apparently I did and in fact DID enjoy it. It really does well in getting back to know the characters and build obvious character relationships but.... that's all been done in better animes with the same feel. That said this anime isn't my cup of tea ( yes I'm literally drinking some right now). It's just way too goofy for my taste. Not to mention the use of over the top Japanese comedy that does and doesn't hit the right notes. It can annoy you, or it can make you laugh out your lungs, in a sense. Not to mention the overly used fanservice of *ahem* trap. If Mitsugi is reading this, the domination of traps are beginning to rise. I think the team behind this anime plays it out safe by putting this out in 2010 just because it has some great animation and more importantly moe....WITH TRAPS .

Verdict: My whole review above pretty much wraps it up in how I feel about this anime. It's just not targeted towards me ( that in turn focuses more on seriousness than nonsense). It's not bad, though it's not anime of the year also.. A good anime nonetheless, that every moeblob is going to look forward to or put their hands in their pants to... Alright guess this wraps up my review of Baka to Test. No I won't be continuing this anime unless.. 2 reasons

1) It must be in the top 50 of best rated of all time in Animenewsnetwork's site.

2) Convince me how good it is ( in other words annoy)


Alright we part ways by guys who crossdress *ahem* Rekka


Alright with Moe outta the way.... MORE MOE!!

Ookamikakushi: What to say.... two strikes now the 3rd pitch.. Is it good? why YES!
Okay not overly exaggeratedly good but good enough for me to follow the next episode, but I must warn you though.. IT'S BEEN HINTED *ABOVE* AND THE SCENES ARE THERE MAKING THIS OVERALL EXPERIENCE RATHER WELL..... UNEASY TO WATCH. Yes the touchy touchy with the protagonist scenes are there, but that rather just ups in terms of entertainment for me ( call me weird those scenes were INTENSE! err..... back to the review...). This 3rd episode should have already done what the first episode should have done.. That is leave something open in terms of the overall conspiracy that is whatever the main character ( Again I'm not good with names)is getting into. This episode does that with a subtle approach by introducing oddly but cool haired character X (no that's not his name), leaving it open for the audience to speculate in terms of the overall conspiracy ( if there is one...). It's subtle but still a overall good incentive to keep going which leads me to my.....

Verdict: Good episode, but not entertaining to the fullest because there is always the Moe cow to keep milking from ( as if we're not familiar with the characters the main character hangs out with). Again this episode leaves something open to go on with the next episode, so that I'll do...



Durarara!!: Gotta save the best for last.. That said this episode is another solid one by being well..... unpredictable. I seriously thought they we're going to tell another person's back story but then it just continue where the present episode 2 left off ( you will get what I'm talking about if you WATCH the anime). Well the story leaves nothing off as surprising, but just another episode to give a backing ( use of bad wording on my end) on the characters that weren't introduced in the first episode. A slow start but a Truly acceptable one because it's just these relationships that is just well developed. In other words, YOU CARE FOR THE CHARACTERS and their individual personas in what they can contribute to the overall story. This is clocking in at 2 episodes, and already I or I should say this anime has developed the feel for the characters. Which is great considering that the animes listed above didn't do a whole lot in terms of in depth character structure. But to Nitpick I have to say at times the animation ( characters more precisely) can miss strokes here and there but that's all that is nitpicking (only if you're looking hard enough...)

Verdict: Looks like we have a winner for my ongoing 2010 anime. This is it... I am going to continue with this. It just seems to be a great feel in terms of everything... Characters, Seiyuus, Animation, Atmosphere, Depth, just a whole lot just CAN contend for anime of 2010.


With that out of the way I ask for an encouragement from my audience ( If I have any) who got past the tl;dr. Do you want me to continue this? On my end while typing, I find enjoyment while doing this and it's an idea I had a while ago. But then again I don't want the other fellows in the community here at AAA to be angry at me while I'm doing this saying this is just worthless spam and you're just upping your post count. So I come to you readers who are reading this, do you wish for me to continue this? Feedback is appreciated. For now... I think I'll get back in reviewing once we hit April of 2010. ANGEL BEATS!!!!! YES!!!
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hanamaru Kindergarden?

Post  bakuhasu on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Just bored right now and want to break out a review because I can and you guys will listen....



Yes I am serious in reviewing this anime...

As our protagonist wakes up in the good o' anime fashion, the first day of his job is waiting for him. As he commutes along the the cherry cute looking houses, he meets Anzu (the one highest in the structure in the *picture above*). As an adult, our protagonist Tsuchida ( god I need to search that name up...) do as any other adult does and that is ask is there any inconveniences upon talking to the 5 year old. Anzu misconceived as a so called "hit on her" or in her words "you're hitting on me!". LOL! That is basically the back-story and motive to keep the viewers tucked in and laid back to enjoy the oncoming adventures of Tsuchida-sensei ( because he's a Kindergarden teacher DUH...) and his cherry animated little ones in the ever loving Sakura class. If that does not motivate you then enjoy some Gainax ( this is done by them) cameos...





Verdict: As the opening opened the anime with credits, I keep seeing a familiar Kanji of a directors name. I was guessing NO WAI that THIS director couldn't possibly be directing something like this, ESPECIALLY coming from a recent hit that marked one of my favorite anime of all time. That my friends is Seiji Motherf**king DOUBLE O Mizushima. My god was that a surprise! The stories that we're presented in front of me that has the name Hanamaru Kindergarden is a REALLY REALLY enjoyable one... You just feel and at times reminisce when watching this anime, about you exactly did/thought of this and that when you were attending Kindergarden. Not to mention that I found myself calling this anime light-hearted with nothing really nitty gritty to actually care about. I even find myself grinning throughout the episodes and at times and laughing along with my 10 year old sister ( she loves this anime as well). With that being said this anime is just laid back enjoyment for me nothing much to worry about in terms of content and or story structure of this anime. All in all this is pretty much OUT OF EVERYONE'S RADAR. I mean in terms of enjoyment factor I feel like it ranks up there with Durarara!. O and given from the shear appeal this anime has for me I will continue this and mark it as my guilty pleasure.

Phew* I just hope somebody gives me feedback in the anime that is mentioned above
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  Mitsugi on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 am

I think it's likely that Katanagatari will be the best show of the season. We'll see...
avatar
Mitsugi

Posts : 473
Join date : 2009-07-23
Age : 33
Location : Orlando, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  Saber on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:34 am

Mitsugi wrote:I think it's likely that Katanagatari will be the best show of the season. We'll see...

People that cannot appreciate Kara no Kyoukai should stay away from Katanagatari. Loads and loads of dialogue involved, even during combat.
avatar
Saber

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-10-25
Age : 30
Location : Germany

View user profile http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/Saber

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  Mitsugi on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:59 am

I gave Kara no Kyoukai a 4/5. I hardly call that not appreciating.
avatar
Mitsugi

Posts : 473
Join date : 2009-07-23
Age : 33
Location : Orlando, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  Saber on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:15 am

Mitsugi wrote:I gave Kara no Kyoukai a 4/5. I hardly call that not appreciating.

You did not even watch all of it when you reviewed it and what you did can hardly be called a review.

However, that was supposed to be a general statement.
avatar
Saber

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-10-25
Age : 30
Location : Germany

View user profile http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/Saber

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  bakuhasu on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Saber wrote:
Mitsugi wrote:I gave Kara no Kyoukai a 4/5. I hardly call that not appreciating.

You did not even watch all of it when you reviewed it and what you did can hardly be called a review.

However, that was supposed to be a general statement.

O man the elitist strikes again.. I wonder where this conversation will take next...

Also I am watching Katanagatari
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sword Story

Post  bakuhasu on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 am

Alright back with another anime 2010 review! I just wanted to do this again because I can and just because there are titles that needs "slashing" (fail pun on my part) through.

This time on Baku's list is rather an obscure one... WAIT why am I typing in a third person manner? hmmm NVM let's get on to IT!




To Start ....... So? Our great podcast parent of AAA and more so the webmaster of this awesome forum the great teacher Mitsugi called this anime " the best anime of the winter season of 2010"

hmmmm We'll see about that...

Katanagatari: or also called Dao Hwa (Mandarin), Dou Wa (Cantonese), and Sword Story (English)."In days of Sengoku there exists a sword technique....without the use of sword". A rather gimmicky way of putting it, as you're just fighting with bare fists.... The first scene you see is two shadowy figures collide with sword and fist ( I guess you can call that sword...) and as in any good old anime samurai fashion a guy dies and leaving the 5 year old girl standing there in the background witnessing the whole fight. At this point..good old plot devices are created, and motives to be saved later when that child grows up ( I wonder who could that be...). Did I also mentioned fire is involved? Leave that box checked just to make this scene more dramatic than it already is. Enter Yasuri Shichika banished for 20 years in an island with a law with no usage of swords among it's habitants has made him and his sister voiced by Mai Nakahara ( the only motive for me to watch this since she is the voice of Nagisa from CLANNAD and Rena from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni) to live a rather well.... simple life. Think "cabin simple" and you'll get the idea. Upon going to get the daily water from the local spring, our unsuspecting hero comes across Togame (voiced by Yukari Tamura really known for Rika from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Sunohara Mei from CLANNAD). Togame's motive to come to the island is to find the master of the "Kyotoryu" sword style because our foxy white haired strategist has gotten betrayed and seeks the "great sword technique without the sword" (god this really bugs me just call it a freaking fighting style already!). Also she is on the Shogunate's order to find the 12 swords that will rule over the WORLD!!! No not really, but they are of epic loot and anyone will get their hands on them. Not to mention these are some 12 swords that each comes with their own little specialty. So to slim it down what can be expected, think of a guy and a clumsy (because that's how the Japanese likes em) girl go embark a journey of NOT so epic proportions to find 12 swords and kick the final boss' ass (voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa).

Verdict: Overall this anime is GOOD...BUT I did not enjoy it. One of the many things is in which this anime lacks is vast amounts of dialogue. Don't get me wrong I love Death Note, and Kara no Kyoukai. And since Kara no Kyoukai is mentioned in this thread, I will do a minor comparison in what both animes strongly uses of dialogue for their story. For Katanagatari, it was sheerly because it's dialogue you never even care about. Well placed theories are placed here and there but above it all it's just boring. While Kara no Kyoukai has a unique way of conveying things by talking about psychological natures of a psychopath, and a unique telling of magic and of the super natural. Also Katanagatari what does is Sengoku/ Edo period history lesson and expanding the universe with dialogue you never really care or it just ends up on your other ear. But then the two are different animes and there is actual no parallel in terms of atmosphere, and story telling. Characters don't even up the enjoyment factor for me. It's just because there isn't anything in terms of in depth appeal of the characters that I really like. Here is a guy who doesn't know any better of the world for he is secluded in an island doing simple chores and training for all his life. Making Yasuri Shichika a rather dumb person and sadly an eyesore to watch. Though Togame had her reveal backstory on episode 1 (which serves as an obvious plot twist) that didn't really overwhelm me in terms of enjoyment. Not to mention every scene she is in just makes her trip on her face which really lowers my overall enjoyment for her.With an odd choice of the animated cartoony atmosphere, and character designs, usually would serve as a positive remark when commenting an anime but just not this one. Sure you might find this style fresh in a sense but at the end of it, I felt that at times the character design could hurt the overall product simply because I can't take this anime seriously or it doesn't want to be taken seriously. BUT, what I did liked were the fight scenes. That is the whole 2 minutes of it being shown in a overall 50 yes 50 minute minute anime 12 episode each, released once per month. Sigh* I don't want to come off it as a bad review but... I just couldn't enjoy this anime, more so I don't think this anime is the casual or maybe even the hardcore that really likes to critique. It's way too draining to watch given the fact this has a 50 minute mark for each episode. But then there are people that are enjoying this such as you Mitsugi. And to answer that statement you posted. NO WAY is Katanagatari the best anime of this season of anime ( which is itself a surprisingly good way to start off 2010). So to sum it up, with tons of risks intact, Katanagatari does not hold well with the style of atmosphere, way of progressing the story, and above all draining to watch. I AM SOOO GOING TO GET FLAMED AFTER THIS POST


avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  Mitsugi on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Baku, I noticed that you haven't done one for Seikon no Qwaser or Ladies VS Butlers yet.

Coward... Twisted Evil
avatar
Mitsugi

Posts : 473
Join date : 2009-07-23
Age : 33
Location : Orlando, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  bakuhasu on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Mitsugi wrote:Baku, I noticed that you haven't done one for Seikon no Qwaser or Ladies VS Butlers yet.

Coward... Twisted Evil

Just recently finished CLANNAD (Yet Again)... Crying or Very sad but hey man thanks Mitsugi for the uplifting post. If you would want me to do it and the requirements of the episode count I'll see what I can do. Then again that whole CLANNAD runthrough made me can't intake any "anime" of THAT category.
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  TheSuspiciousRedLamp on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Man!! Great reviews!! I'm currently watching Sora no Woto and Durarara. The first one is good,but nothing amazing in there, but the second one, Durarara, this is such a great show up to now. I'm at the 08 episode and I'm just completely hook (that's how you write it?). Looking forward to the next episodes.
XD
avatar
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 24
Location : Blainville, Québec, Canada

View user profile http://myanimelist.net/profile/Duskrados

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  bakuhasu on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:28 pm

TheSuspiciousRedLamp wrote:Man!! Great reviews!! I'm currently watching Sora no Woto and Durarara. The first one is good,but nothing amazing in there, but the second one, Durarara, this is such a great show up to now. I'm at the 08 episode and I'm just completely hook (that's how you write it?). Looking forward to the next episodes.
XD

Thanks man it's great to get some feedback from someone like yourself doing these reviews. Awesome stuff in your corner too.!
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RX-0 the Review...

Post  bakuhasu on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:29 pm


Alright guys Baku here with another yet exciting review covering the 30th anniversary project of this 6 part 50 min OVA of GUNDAM UC (Cleverly abbreviated to Unicorn).
Originally a planned movie, Gundam Unicorn is Sunrise and Gundam's 30th Anniversary Project to celebrate the (what ya know?) 30th Anniversary of Gundam (Source from Gundamn! @MAHQ Podcast). When I have heard of this news I was stoked that they're going to make a Gundam not only right after the much bigger hit 00, or the first Gundam adaptation of light novels, but more so going back the timeline of Universal Century (Clocking in 3 years after Char's Counter Attack). With excitement rolling, the first episode came out.

*Disclaimer: Since the first episode of Gundam Unicorn has alot to take in even for a 50 min introductory episode anything that doesn't quite fit in "this review" will not be edited. Basically I just say what I took in from my 2 runs of Unicorn.*

Props to my aniki Mikhail because he did a review which can be viewed here *it's clickable*

Ep1: The start of the story brings us to a space station where a presumably Earth Fed Prime Minister in giving the good old speech that mankind has reached into the age where it can reach into space and must stick together... all that peace empowerment stuff. This is
the ultimate way to welcome veterans of Gundam into the backstory of the Universal Century itself. Not to mention that this scene alone sold me on all levels animation,CG, and in this scene music in particular is well put in just this scene alone, where you can have spine tingling moments in acts of terrorists acts getting ready to blow sh*t up... With the station where the world is focused upon the man's speech, we watch it blow up in beautifully rendered bits. Enter UC 0096 where a new organization known as the Vist Foundation is ready to make a move in trading with The Sleeves (remnants of Zeon. God these guys have to give up already...) in hopes of taking down the Earth Feds with the Vist Foundation who we learned later have other ambitions because of this trade. But who is caught in this conflict? Banaugher Links the lead of this series. We get introduced to him in the factory school of Anaheim Electronics. His ambitions and motives are pretty much jumbled because the psyche of this character is pretty much in a sense "lost" . That's character study for ya. You want more you have it. Banaugher Links is one Gundam lead to fully accept because he just has so many attributes like the previous Gundam leads like Camille, or the MSG Amuro, but there is only one thing this guy just feels fresh as a character in a Gundam series that is deemed in my terms "indescribable" (with his 80's fro of course). The story then cuts in to we later come to Audrey Burne ( who looks strikingly familiar towards her 1980's counterpart...). Her motive? To stop the trade of the Laplace Box between The Sleeves, and the Vist Foundation to prevent further wars from breaking out. That is basically ( I don't want to go into the nitty gritty details because whew* there is alot)the important plot points that is the core for the series. But just know that Banaugher and "Audrey" get together because the story wills them to. Things go down because the trade didn't go well, namely Londo Bell, and the Earth Feds taking over and try to claim the Unit or maybe the Laplace Box for their own uses. We later find out the head of the Vist Foundation, Cardeas Vist is Banaugher Link's dad. And the whole episode pretty much ends with the RX-0 (Unicorn Gundam) transforms into the sick "Destroy Mode" transformation scene (sunrise staple) to end the first episode.

*WHEW*


Verdict: DAMN F*CKING GOOD! One of the best first episode (if not) of Gundam I have ever seen. Though alot to swallow, it really hits the right spots in expecting what the 30th Anniversary project is to be. Through Music, well placed fight scenes, gorgeous animation, CG, to little details such as the cockpit, and it's sick looking UI. You can just tell the sheer amount of spit and shine that the people at Sunrise want this 6 part OVA to feel like. Not to mention the atmosphere feel is indeed a UC show. Banaugher ( cuz this review allows me to go more in depth with this guy) is not a whiner. The scenes that this character has to interact, with this episode being the theme of war, he doesn't know what's happening to create this kind of conflict but mans up to the extent that he pilots the Gundam in the end. Which makes him a instantaneous likable pilot. I was worried that the 50 minute mark could work against this anime (like Katanagatari) but that 50 minute flew by fast. Again with the presentation, just that alone brought up my enjoyment and oncoming episodes of this anime. The presentation was too good I couldn't grasp on to the story in it's "Full Frontal" (fail pun intended) glory! I have to give it 2 runs in order to do a review to Unicorn justice. That is saying something for this anime running for 2 or 3 years. One minor gripe that will work in the favor of this anime I didn't watch this in full 1080p HD. As someone who don't buy alot of hard physical media when it comes to anime, I will buy Unicorn. $35 dollars is worth it if you can look at this spectacle in a bigger screen. Though not for recent Gundam fans who have no knowledge of UC, this is the definitive series that is welcomed by the hardcore and loved by the new.


Last edited by bakuhasu on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  TheSuspiciousRedLamp on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:32 pm

I agree with everything you said!! Looking forward to the next episode... IN AUTUMN!! *sigh*
avatar
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 24
Location : Blainville, Québec, Canada

View user profile http://myanimelist.net/profile/Duskrados

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  bakuhasu on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:42 pm

TheSuspiciousRedLamp wrote:I agree with everything you said!! Looking forward to the next episode... IN AUTUMN!! *sigh*

Waiting for that and the 00 movie..
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  TheSuspiciousRedLamp on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:19 pm

bakuhasu wrote:
TheSuspiciousRedLamp wrote:I agree with everything you said!! Looking forward to the next episode... IN AUTUMN!! *sigh*

Waiting for that and the 00 movie..

HELL YEAH!!
avatar
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 24
Location : Blainville, Québec, Canada

View user profile http://myanimelist.net/profile/Duskrados

Back to top Go down

Re: Baku's "1st Episode" Anime Reviews of 2010!!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum