Anime Addicts Anonymous Podcast Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Animation Quality in Anime

+3
Hatake
Chiaki
Ryani
7 posters

Go down

Animation Quality in Anime Empty Animation Quality in Anime

Post  Ryani Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:12 pm

How does everyone else here feel about quality animation in anime? Do you feel like it is important in all cases, or just in some? Can a show that does not rely on action or movement get away with poor quality animation? Personally, I feel that if you have an action show, you need the animation to be decent at the least. If it's not a show reliant on movement than animation isn't so much a concern, but it's still a bonus. A show doesn't need to be action to have amazing animation - just watch 5 Centimeters Per Second, or Victorian Romance Emma.

Other than those two, the show Mushi-shi has some of the most stellar animation I have ever seen, and even better, it mixes traditional and computer-based animation.
Ryani
Ryani

Back to top Go down

Animation Quality in Anime Empty Re: Animation Quality in Anime

Post  Chiaki Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:16 pm

Firstly, the animation in 5cm per second made me cry it was so beautiful, or maybe it was just because the story was so amazing.... or both... Laughing But seriously, it is one of my top three favorite anime movies of all time, and definately in my top 10 favorite movies of all time in general.

Now, with regards to quality of animation... I think I'd agree with you that it does depend on the type of anime you are watching. But I feel moreso it depends on the story. You look at animation that's many many years old and is well, overall, very poor by today's standards. But people still watch those series (nostalgia asside) because they have amazing stories. Good story-telling is only supported by good animation, but can stand alone by itself I feel. Why action type animes may often times be very dependant on the animation because the story can be lackluster. (I.E. Dragon Ball Z... but don't get me wrong, this is like half my childhood!) But also why people will drop visually stunning animes if the story sucks.

That's also not to say though that they can't come together. The anime hajime no ippo I think is an excellent demenstration of this, it is a very very good story, and really well done animation to boot. Huzzah for budgets!
Chiaki
Chiaki

http://www.aaapodcast.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryani Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:01 pm

That's true. If you have a cruddy story, solid animation really isn't going to improve it. It might make it pretty to look at, but it won't make it enjoyable to watch. However, the reverse is not true - an anime with a good story and lousy animation can work. Look at Macross! Granted, there are times where I really wish Macross had good animation(one scene in particular,) but it's pretty awesome without it. (Well, the robot battles are pretty well animated, but the people are not. I may be wrong, but I think giant robots, or at least the more mechanical kind like in Macross, as opposed to, say, Evangelion's organic design, are easier to animate than are people.)

So, yeah, I think you're right. Animation is best used when it supports good writing: It can't support bad writing, and good writing can exist without good animation, though it is a plus.

(Also, Makoto Shinkai is just amazing. I think 5 Centimeters Per Second is my favorite of his, but it's been a long, long time since I've seen Voices of a Distant Star. The animation really does sell that story, though, especially Shinkai's gorgeous use of light.)
Ryani
Ryani

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiaki Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:18 pm

Lighting (along with everything else it seems) really is a forte of his. I have to say though, one of my favorites is his five minute short "She and Her Cat" or "Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko." The animation is only alright (for Shinkai standards), in fact it's almost more of a glorified graphic novel than a full on animation.

But it's just so impossibly cute really, not to mention for 5 minutes, it's really well done.

Here's a link, it's all in one youtube video and the quality is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6QBDkO-B-4
if you've not seen it before I recomend taking a peak. Assuming you don't have an issue with watching it on youtube... If you want to find a hard copy I think it may be in the extras for the DVD Voices of a Distant Star or Byosoku 5cm.

--- Edit ---

I forgot to mention a fun fact I noticed when I first watched Byosoku 5cm. The cat that Akari is petting around 7:00minutes in is the cat from "She and her Cat" Makoto references himself. I thought it was funny when I recognized it, since I love "She and her Cat"
Chiaki
Chiaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Hatake Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:51 pm

Ryani wrote:Other than those two, the show Mushi-shi has some of the most stellar animation I have ever seen, and even better, it mixes traditional and computer-based animation.

Thank youuuuu!!! Mushi-Shi, finally! That's one of my favorites, the style is mesmerizing... I can watch that show an endless amount of times and never get tired of it because I always find something new in it that catches my attention... like the little details. Even the art in the DVD boxes is gorgeous, down to the bonus postcards they throw in there.

I agree that beautiful quality can make a series (or movie) so much more breathtaking than it is, but then I think about Gurren Lagann... that's the best example I can think of because I think the style, even though it was much less than perfect at times, couldn't have suited the series better. That was an awkward sentence. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of exceptions. The art style of The Wallflower (featuring ridiculously feminine-looking males, moreso than all the shoujo styles I've seen put together) deterred me from watching or reading it for the longest time, and then when I finally caved I was so glad I did... one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. It just fit.

Ramble ramble ramble... yep, my only valid point is that art style doesn't always dictate the quality of the series. *shrugs*
Hatake
Hatake

http://kyotofoxfire.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryani Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:35 pm

That's true about art, although there have been series where I just could not handle the art style (Wallflower is one, and Natsu no Arashi is another.)

Also, Hatake, animation and art aren't the same thing - art is self-evident, but animation deals with how things move rather than the art itself.

I agree about Gurren Lagann. The art there is extremely stylized and probably wouldn't fit any other story, but fits that one perfectly.

Mushi-shi is amazing! It's episodic in nature, but every single episode is wonderful. I have a smattering of favorite episodes, including episode 11, but in general it is lovely.
Ryani
Ryani

Back to top Go down

Post  lamperouge98 Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:40 pm

For me, an anime's animation has to be smooth. Things have to transfer from position 1 to position 2 in a style that's realistic. I can get when anime's do little silly things like have chibi characters or go into a manga-esque period of animating, but on the whole, fight scenes have fluid motion, characters move and react realisticly, and the animation looks crisp on the whole. That's really all I need as a hook to start watching an anime. The story is a whole different world...
lamperouge98
lamperouge98

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:56 pm

lamperouge98 wrote:...fight scenes have fluid motion, characters move and react realisticly, and the animation looks crisp on the whole. That's really all I need as a hook to start watching an anime. The story is a whole different world...

Without saying anything else about this whole topic (I feel like I could go on for days about my opinions on animation quality and what qualifies as "art"), your quote got me to thinking about how you might really enjoy Crest of the Stars and/or Banner of the Stars... I know that you mentioned liking Gundam and CotS has some of the most engaging fight scenes I've ever found in an anime (with the exception of Gurren Lagann, which has an entirely different feel), as well as amazing characters and story.

It's definitely a space opera, like Star Wars, and equally epic; as such it's rather long, but you might want to look into it. Mitsugi's really the person to ask if you have any other questions, since it's one of his favorites and I'm familiar with it because of him, but I thought I'd give you a heads-up...

<3
Valentine
Valentine

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiaki Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Valentine wrote:your quote got me to thinking about how you might really enjoy Crest of the Stars and/or Banner of the Stars...

I have to agree you really should check those out.
Chiaki
Chiaki

Back to top Go down

Post  lamperouge98 Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:45 pm

Great. I'll give those a look-see.
lamperouge98
lamperouge98

Back to top Go down

Post  calex Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:02 pm

I'll comment on general idea of this topic, I'll be out of your discussion because I can't relate to those anime shows or whatsoever. In general, good quality animation is the the one that people are looking for. Good quality animation makes the animated shows look more decent and adored. I'm not saying that the poor animation doesn't deserve adoration, what I mean is who's gonna watch an animated shows if the quality isn't good and can't make someone's head turn and concentrate to that shows. People nowadays are "choosy" when it comes to good quality animation. And I agree that it's not just the animation that made the people go crazy to one animated shows but as well as to the storyline.

calex

Back to top Go down

Animation Quality in Anime Empty Calex you are oh so right!

Post  Mitsugi Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:39 pm

You are completely right. Also, to be very honest, it's much harder to find quality storytelling and script writing than it is to just through millions of dollars at a series.

So many anime nowadays just have beautiful animation but have absolutely no story at all. (i.e. the recently reviewed Kannagi) I would rather watch an anime that has no quality in the animation and a wonderful story. I think manga is a great example of this. People would be foolish to think that manga can stand on their own without quality writing. A black and white still image is not as impressive as smooth animation.

thanks for posting! Hope to hear from you more!
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiaki Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:44 pm

People would be foolish to think that manga can stand on their own without quality writing.

Sure it can, it's called an artbook!! Razz
Chiaki
Chiaki

Back to top Go down

Animation Quality in Anime Empty artbooks

Post  Mitsugi Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:28 am

Artbooks are expensive!!!!!
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  lamperouge98 Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm watching something new call Shikabane Hime. It's actually pretty good. The animation is actually really good in it. I'm impressed.
lamperouge98
lamperouge98

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryani Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Ah, yeah, the animation of Shikabane Hime is really good. (Well, Gainax! What do you expect? ^_^) The story is also good, but there are a couple of episodes that are kind of. . .why is this episode here? I never did finish it, and since I stopped at episode 11 I really should go back and at least finish the first half.
Ryani
Ryani

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down