Anime Addicts Anonymous Podcast Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on Monster

3 posters

Go down

Thoughts on Monster Empty Thoughts on Monster

Post  Mitsugi Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:50 pm

I started watching Monster years ago and never finished it. I'm not sure why, because Monster according to ANN is in the top 15 anime of all time, and is the #2 manga of all time. It deserves it. Plot, atmosphere, music, themes and symbols...and of course Dr. Tenma. Good lord, most of my favorite anime characters of all time, Nausicaa, Yoko Nakajima, Iria....are all female but Tenma is up there with Onizuka on my list of characters. He is incredibly deep, stands for so much and is oh so cool.

I'm probably going to sound like I'm kissing Kojima Masayuki's butt a lot during the review rofl...

Thoughts on Monster Monster

This man is a top notch neurosurgeon and a badass with a handgun too. The one and the only Doctor Tenma!
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Monster Empty Re: Thoughts on Monster

Post  elvenbladerogue Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:12 pm

My friend told me this was a amazing anime. Great story and everything. i been needing to watch it for some time now.

The basic story with this my friend told me is a Doctor, who had to choose between a Kid, and a Billionaire that was like one of there top people of the place... not sure. He choose the kid over him and letting the other guy die... If i remember correctly.
elvenbladerogue
elvenbladerogue

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Monster Empty Monster!!! ばけもの!!!!!!

Post  Mitsugi Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Your friend is pretty close, but there's a lot more to it. This is a 74 episode of series with 0 episodes of filler and 130 recurring characters. There is a lot in this story.

Stay tuned for a full review, MAYBE, in episode 5. I'm not really sure. I'm finishing a bunch of stuff for our buddy Ryani. You should request some anime as well Elvenbladerouge. Ask for some stuff you aren't sure about, we'll help you decide.

toodles!
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryani Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:12 pm

I am trying not to drool. I want to see this show with utter desperation.

December. It comes out in December. I must continue reminding myself of this. (Right now there are three shows I know I am going to buy that I am waiting to come out. This, Eden of the East, and Spice and Wolf. The suspense is killing me.)

A friend of mine and I have joked that it would be greatly amusing if Crispin Freeman ended up voicing Tenma. This is because Freeman has already voiced two characters who, physically, resemble Tenma greatly.

Thank you, Mitsugi! I can't wait for the review!
Ryani
Ryani

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Monster Empty Spice and Wolf 2

Post  Mitsugi Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:51 pm

I am really enjoying Spice and Wolf 2. It got REALLY good in the last episode. Total awesomeness! Yea, you'll definitely want to pick this up however, I feel sorry for your pocket buying Monster. It's soooo long. Maybe you can get it in a nifty box set?
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryani Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Monster will probably be between two to four box sets - the market is mostly done with singles at this point, with the exception of Bandai, which is nonetheless grudgingly moving towards sets, or at least doublepacks like the Gurren Lagann release. It probably won't be one set for the whole shot, no matter how wonderful that would be. (Maybe in a couple of years. . .) I'm basing this on how Viz is releasing Honey and Clover, which they licensed at around the same time. (I've been watching it! Only two episodes thus far, but it's so adorable and fun!) The other two will probably be $40 a piece for the whole show, so Monster is really the scary one for price, I guess. I might have to save a while for that one, but Christmas is a fairly opportune time for it to come out, I suppose.

How I wish I could get more deals like Gakuen Alice. That was $39 for 26 episodes. Hell, the new Princess Tutu sets are going for $22.50 in some places. And I got the first Kodocha box set (25 episodes) for $19.99. . .

Anime's getting cheaper, at least. That probably isn't a good thing in the long run, but at least it means I can support the shows I love more readily.
Ryani
Ryani

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Monster Empty Cheap anime

Post  Mitsugi Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Anime pretty much couldn't get more expensive. The price they charge for anime is crazy and especially for a $30 DVD with only 3-5 episodes on it. I mean its just nuts to expect that from people. I think a lot more people are using torrents and thats not a good thing but if it makes these companies like Bandai start making things more affordable by bundling it, then maybe its a means to an end.

In japan, the same $30 DVD costs $50 rofl. Try that on for size...I shudder.

I confess however that I haven't bought a DVD in awhile, however I probably have like 200 of them from past purchases. I never could have seen the amount of anime I have by buying DVDs, it just wouldn't be possible.

Also, you're right about the boxsets probably being 2 or 3 in number. Still it's cheaper than having to buy individual DVDs. You can still find Monster on [url=animesuki.com]Anime Suki[/url], so either Monster isn't licensed yet, or AnimeSuki is behind on removing the licensed anime from their torrent database.
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryani Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Monster has been licensed for about a year, but the release has been delayed and delayed and delayed and finally it is coming out around Christmas.

Singles are ridiculous. $20-$30 for 4 episodes is pretty much an impossible price to pay for anything more than an OVA series or something that's just one cour.

As I said, though, singles are pretty much the way of the past. ADV, Viz and Funimation now exclusively use sets, Right Stuf always have, and Bandai's headed that way, but it may take them a long time.

I've heard about Japanese DVDs. They're also about 2 episodes apiece, correct? What a nightmare.
Ryani
Ryani

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Monster Empty DVDs

Post  Mitsugi Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Somebody should notify animesuki or something so they can remove it from their list. Of course, I can still find torrents for Cowboy Bebop so it's not like it matters in the end. You can find anything online.

Yea I'm not really sure about how many episodes are on the Japanese DVDs. But when I was over there it was like 4500 yen for a single DVD. At the 93 yen to the dollar rate, thats like $48. Wow.

I did buy the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni video game for PS2 which was normally priced at $50. It's in pure Japanese so until my Japanese gets up to the level 2 or 1 JLPT, I'll probably have to wait to play it. hehe. Do you speak any Japanese Ryani? If you do, I'll have Chiaki open a Japanese section on the forum so we can talk.
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down