Anime Addicts Anonymous Podcast Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hajime no Ippo

Go down

Hajime no Ippo Empty Hajime no Ippo

Post  CanadaMan Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:10 pm

For all those wondering, I've begun my viewing of Hajime no Ippo. Now, I'm going to share some thoughts about this anime from the fighting side of life. I'll update every few episodes, right now I'm at Episode 9.
I sent Mitsugi a PM last night, but this topic will go a little bit more into detail (or so I hope)

SPOILERS ABOUND! For those who have not yet seen it, ye be warned.

First, we have the equipment.
Indeed it was not too long ago when heavy bags were filled with sand. However, sand tends to get lumpy and hard over time, as well as has the distinct possibility of growing mould (and who wants a mouldy heavy bag?). Nowadays bags are filled with a cloth-fibre material, and if you wish to stuff your own, just take old clothes (but remove any buttons or anything hard plastic or metal, because you do not want to punch that, gloves or not).

Boxing standards dictate that you generally train with 14oz or 16oz gloves to not only get the best workout, but to ensure your sparring partner's safety. You'd essentially have to be Mike Tyson if you wanted to knock someone out wearing a pair of 16oz gloves. Some boxers train with 18oz gloves to go that extra mile. Thai boxers drop down to 10oz gloves when they fight in the ring, and the drop in ounce weight will increase your speed and power. I have trouble stuffing my hand into an 8oz glove, let alone a wrapped hand. MMA gloves that the fighters use in the UFC and other Fighting Championships are 4oz.

The headgear the other people used when sparring Miyata are classing boxing training headgear, with extra padding around the ears, cheek and chin. Professional headgear is generally open-faced with padding everywhere else.

Skip ropes. Truly one of the greatest things for cardio. 10 minutes with a skip rope is the equivalent to a couple of miles. It also helps with hand-eye and foot-eye coordination.

Next, the techniques.
A jab is a punch thrown with your forward hand (left hand for orthodox stance, right hand for south-paws).
A straight (or cross) is thrown with your back hand (right for orthodox, left for south-paws).
One-two is a jab cross, and is the bread and butter move of the fighting world. There aren't many people who don't know how to do a one-two (even if they don't actually know what it's called). It's pretty much like breathing, and it starts off so many combos.
Uppercuts are great for getting around your partner's pesky guard, and are great when thrown in close or if you're fighting a clinch.
Footwork is key, it helps prevent you being a target.

Finally, the fights.
I know the first time I fought outside of my training ring I was nervous. But as soon as that first punch was thrown (followed by a kick!) everything calmed down and I was focused. It can definitely be nerve-wracking fighting in front of a large crowd (I've yet to experience over a hundred people, I can't imagine several hundred or even thousands), but remember your training, and things should be fine.

Right now at this point in the show, Miyata has revealed to Ippo that they should settle the score of 1-1 in the pro ring, and that to do so, he has joined another gym.

Stay tuned for another update!
CanadaMan
CanadaMan

Back to top Go down