Anime Addicts Anonymous Podcast Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not into Moeblob? Why Not?

4 posters

Go down

Not into Moeblob? Why Not? Empty Not into Moeblob? Why Not?

Post  The Green Gentleman Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Moeblob is, by definition, a blob of turn-ons. The storylines are sweet, the randomness level is high, what is there not to like? This thread not at all intended to parody Baku's Laughing I'm bored and I'm curious as to why you wouldn't like moeblob.
The Green Gentleman
The Green Gentleman

https://www.facebook.com/the.green.gentleman

Back to top Go down

Not into Moeblob? Why Not? Empty Re: Not into Moeblob? Why Not?

Post  bakuhasu Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:54 pm

Moeblobs is well new... Moe is new.. It's hard to accept ANYTHING that is new. Moe itself isn't anything bad in fact it's done really well with animes like Clannad, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and Bakemonogatari. The problem with Moe is just that it's just it's TOO character based. Anime in all is storytelling (with a mix of realism and unrealism) with tons of stories out there being overused, I think the people in the anime industry want "The Next Big Thing". Well the whole idea of anime without a story (I'm Looking at you The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star) is in fact a very fresh idea. Being Character focus is not bad at all. I guess we all learn that in history with any great given new idea it will be used, and now we started to see a over saturation of moe in anime now. With that saturation, it can be overwhelming and eventually you would have guys who enjoy anime for quite a while will dislike it (it's probably because we like picking on new things). Moe in anime is considered a negative viewing amongst the hardcore. I for once am teeter tottering between liking moe and disliking it. Moeblobs don't help it. Now I feel that storytelling in general is kinda going down and at times depressing. But is Moe going anywhere..? Yes... not in a bad way it's just a benchmark of what animation nowadays in terms of how pretty you can make a character look. Is the old method of storytelling going anywhere? No!Old fashioned storytelling is going to be around as long as humans are around (rest assured trolls). Let there be good anime with moe in the future.
bakuhasu
bakuhasu

Back to top Go down

Post  Rekka Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:53 am

I really can't say I dislike moeblobs, but I'd prefer anime with some moe and a good story. I actually really like the school theme (Kampfer, TMOHS, Ect.) but theres deffently a limit to moeblobs, just havn't seen an anime that reachs that limit, id be intrested to hear what you think the limit is.
Rekka
Rekka

Back to top Go down

Post  bakuhasu Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:00 am

Rekka wrote:I really can't say I dislike moeblobs, but I'd prefer anime with some moe and a good story. I actually really like the school theme (Kampfer, TMOHS, Ect.) but theres deffently a limit to moeblobs, just havn't seen an anime that reachs that limit, id be intrested to hear what you think the limit is.
Wait Wait..... Kampfer is GoooOOD? That limit is Clannad and it WILL change your whole perception of life.
bakuhasu
bakuhasu

Back to top Go down

Post  The Green Gentleman Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:59 am

I don't really consider Clannad to be a moeblob style. Sure, it's a harem, but I think it has a bit too much story and epic to really be called a moeblob. The limit to moeblob is, in my opinion, Lucky Star. I should clarify that moeblob is a show with no real purpose, could probably have a gajillion episodes if it wasn't on budget or time restrictions, and most importantly is very easy to look at. Also, generally, there would only be one or two (if any) male characters.

This appeals to me as it makes for a great stress reliever (inb4 no stress until after high school) and there isn't a great lot of thought needed to watch it, in comparison to, say, a mecha where there's plot twists every three seconds.

My favorite moeblobs are K-on!, Lucky Star and probably Haruhi, even though Haruhi has a bit too much plot to be a pure moeblob.
The Green Gentleman
The Green Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitsugi Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:26 am

I totally agree with The Green Gent, Moe doesn't have by definition any kind of intelligible plotline, and if it does, it's just to hold the story together. Anime like Seitokai to Ichizon, is the optimum example of a moe anime; cute characters, absolutely no plotline whatsoever, and a splash of comedy. But really it's just horny guys getting excited by the kiddy characters. That is the purpose. Sorry but it's true. Moe will come and go along with it's marketing draw in the Japanese market. Afterall, half of the purpose of moe is to sell merchandise. If you look at it like that, it's a corruption of a once meaningful artform.

I personally, hate moe. As a person who has Now and Then Here and There(Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku) as one of their favorite anime ever, it's easy to tell why. While anime like NTHT are extremely serious and deliver many messages throughout the course(in the case of NTHT one of many would be forgiveness), moe anime delivers nothing of value to the viewer. It's just fluff.

I once heard a quote from a wise man, "Any day in which I have cried is a full day." A good quote, no? Moe isn't going to deliver this to you. This is reserved for serious anime like Grave of the Fireflies, Haibane Renmei, Full Moon wo Sagashite, Hajime no Ippo, Clannad, and all the others that have made anime special and meaningful in the past.

Sorry to be so negative, but I like to be honest. Since you guys listen to the podcast, you know that I already don't like moe. heh.
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Rekka Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:27 pm

Ohh, I actually watched Full Moon and loved it ♥️, I cried alot.

But the way you describe Moeblobs Green gentleman, I do think TMOHS has alot better of a story then other Moeblobs, plus it has just about as many boys as girls, so I don't think it could really be considered a Moeblob, even if it has Moe in it. By the way, I noticed every anime on your favorite Moeblobs list is from Kyoto XD
Rekka
Rekka

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitsugi Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:36 pm

Unfortunately Rekka, Haruhi Suzumiya is moe. However, at least its good and it's about something. It's one of those transitional anime that came in while moe was switching from story to non-story. Clannad and Gurren Lagann are in that same boat. BOTH have moe in it, but that's not really what it's all about. I think the further you get from 2005 towards the present, the less story you'll find. In most cases.
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Rekka Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:29 pm

By the way, I'm still kinda fuzzy on what the exact defenition of Moe is, but wouldn't Jun be considered a Moe charecter? Expecially so in the OVA.
Rekka
Rekka

Back to top Go down

Post  bakuhasu Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:41 pm

In a Moe topic allow me to ask what and why did The Haruhi of Haruhi Suzumiya get soo popular? The way I see it is though beautiful animation,with a well placed story sequences here and there, I just don't get what is all the hype revolving around this anime. As I said before it's good but due to the hype machine it turned me off...BY ALOT (thank you 4chan).Allow somebody to enlighten me.
bakuhasu
bakuhasu

Back to top Go down

Post  bakuhasu Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:53 pm

Mitsugi wrote: I think the further you get from 2005 towards the present, the less story you'll find. In most cases.

Funny thing is that I got into anime during around the time so I can't really comment. But in my eyes Mitsugi that storytelling in anime after 2008 has became a lot fresh ( with animes like Gundam 00, Code Geass). Anime during this period just know how to make its stories alot more intelligent. What strikes moe as bad is because if you had a height of great story telling and then get bombarded in the face with no story animes like Lucky Star, or K-ON! ( Guys I'm not hating on Kyoto Animation they did Clannad to true justice) it's just a step back in terms of where anime is of now and I can understand where you're coming from Mitsugi.
bakuhasu
bakuhasu

Back to top Go down

Post  The Green Gentleman Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:54 pm

bakuhasu wrote:In a Moe topic allow me to ask what and why did The Haruhi of Haruhi Suzumiya get soo popular? The way I see it is though beautiful animation,with a well placed story sequences here and there, I just don't get what is all the hype revolving around this anime. As I said before it's good but due to the hype machine it turned me off...BY ALOT (thank you 4chan).Allow somebody to enlighten me.

For me, the lure of Haruhi is the knowledge of things to come. I've read all the Light Novels (not very light, i was surprised) and the story and plotline really picks up. It's kind of difficult to make a novel moe, so the novels hold a lot of the story. If you've read those, then you'll happily sit through *twitch* eight episodes of EXACTLY the same thing just so that you can emphasize with Yuki in the movie to come.

Plus, everybody secretly wants what Haruhi wants. Don't you, Baku, want the world to be extraordinary, just a little bit? The hype comes from those who have read the novels and know what lies ahead. You can google baka-tsuki to find all the translated ones, by the way.
The Green Gentleman
The Green Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitsugi Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:21 pm

bakuhasu wrote:
Mitsugi wrote: I think the further you get from 2005 towards the present, the less story you'll find. In most cases.

Funny thing is that I got into anime during around the time so I can't really comment. But in my eyes Mitsugi that storytelling in anime after 2008 has became a lot fresh ( with animes like Gundam 00, Code Geass). Anime during this period just know how to make its stories alot more intelligent. What strikes moe as bad is because if you had a height of great story telling and then get bombarded in the face with no story animes like Lucky Star, or K-ON! ( Guys I'm not hating on Kyoto Animation they did Clannad to true justice) it's just a step back in terms of where anime is of now and I can understand where you're coming from Mitsugi.

Baku, my man, plotlines in anime right now are terrible. They are a pitiful shell of what they used to be. Did you know that nearly 1/3 of the anime in this coming winter season take place in school clubs? We are seeing an extreme lack in creativity at the present time. Code Geass was a great anime, but it was only one. For every anime that is great right now, there are 25 that are terrible. That really shouldn't be how things are. I understand that theres only so much money in the anime industry, but money doesn't necessarily make a story great, creative thinking and masterful storytelling does. If Miyazaki had $50, he'd make a masterpiece in pencil. Makoto Shinkai pretty much did a Place Promised in Our Early Days entirely himself. No money, all guts, talent and genius.
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitsugi Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:28 pm

Rekka wrote:By the way, I'm still kinda fuzzy on what the exact defenition of Moe is, but wouldn't Jun be considered a Moe charecter? Expecially so in the OVA.

Btw, Rekka, Moe is a term that literaly means budding. It refers to a character type that is typically young, cute, innocent, characters. It actually has nothing to do with plotlines(As I've been ranting about), it only has to do 100% with the characters. It just seems like animes with moe characters tend to be "fluffy". Also, if you wikipedia Moe, you'll notice that Haruhi Suzumiya is listed on their short list of popular examples, along with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Higurashi is a great example. It's moe, but it isn't in the slightest bit fluffy. AGAIN, as I mentioned earlier, Higurashi came out around the same time as Haruhi and was released in the transitional period where we passed from serious moe to fluff moe.

Does anybody specifically agree with me, or am I just talking out of me ass here?
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  The Green Gentleman Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:03 pm

It's the difference between moe and moeblob. Moe is a story element. Any anime can have moe and still have a great storyline, but a moeblob is something that is just some jokes thrown in to seemingly random clips of anime girls. Higurashi and TMOHS are moe anime, certainly, but I don't think they can really be called moeblob like Lucky Star, K-on! and the like.
The Green Gentleman
The Green Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitsugi Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:31 pm

well said. agreed.
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  bakuhasu Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:22 pm

I just want to say that I have seen the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Again why I want to post that is because I want to see what the hype is about. But this anime did not surprise me at all. Good but did not surprise me and it's just this fandom going on that's really starting to hit me in the wrong spots.

@Mitsugi: I'm sure the classic animes are great. But from what I have seen yes I think the ante of storytelling has rose up with 2008 being one of the best anime years I have ever witnessed ( that's just my opinion). Yes I would like to repeat myself in that moe or more of Moeblobs had really tarnished the storytelling for you and I and I completely understand where you're coming from. But you must remember Anime is an industry and especially with these times you need to pull some thing outta your ass in order to survive in the industry.
bakuhasu
bakuhasu

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitsugi Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:30 pm

I agree with you, companies are going to deliver whatever they have do in order to drive advertising revenue and DVD sales. I think perhaps the issue is that there is a cultural disconnect here. Regardless of how much I love Japan or it's culture, I'm not part of it. Therefore, my wants and desires in terms of anime do not reflect what is currently the desire of most Japanese viewers(I'm sure) and of course they come first because they make up the largest market. Fair is fair. You are right.
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Rekka Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:24 pm

I actually really like alot of the anime thats been coming out recently, although I do like anime with excellent storys, I do like the animes like Kampfer, TMOHS, ect. I'm also intrested in some animes I havn't watched yet, like K-on and Clannad (On my must watch list) I also watched the first 5 episodes of School Days last night, and even though, like you said, the real problem is the realism, besides that I think its actually a pretty good anime. Havn't really seen any anime that similar to this.
Rekka
Rekka

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum