Anime Addicts Anonymous Podcast Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dub vs. Sub

+5
Lelouch Yagami
TheMagnificentOne
Chiaki
lamperouge98
Leader
9 posters

Go down

Best way of watching Anime? (I would like it if everyone took a part of this pole, not just hosts!)

Dub vs. Sub Vote_lcap21%Dub vs. Sub Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Dub vs. Sub Vote_lcap79%Dub vs. Sub Vote_rcap 79% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 14

Dub vs. Sub Empty Dub vs. Sub

Post  Leader Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:57 pm

I would really like to know all of your different opinions on dub vs. Sub. Could you do like a pro/con list and tell which is your favorite way of watching it? Thanks!
study
Leader
Leader

http://rrfdp.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Dub vs. Sub Empty Re: Dub vs. Sub

Post  lamperouge98 Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:41 am

I'm a dub man myself, simply because I like to take in every single bit of animation from every scene. I like to see all the minor things like reactions, things in the background, etc. If I have to read text during the show (not that i mind all that much, anyway), it takes away from my viewing experience. I do watch subs now and again, but deep down, I love dubs more.

Dubs: Pros: Allows me to see everything i want to, I like a lot of voice actors and it's exciting hearing them play one of my favorite characters
Cons: Sometimes they're done really poorly.

Subs: Pros: It's awesome hearing the show how it was originally done, and japanese is such a beautiful language
Cons: I can'ts see everything i want to see and still now the dialogue (short of rewinding all the time).
lamperouge98
lamperouge98

Back to top Go down

Dub vs. Sub Empty IMHO: Subbing is the way to go

Post  Chiaki Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:53 am

Subs are the way to go for me.

I understand what people say about the dubs and not having to read, but I always feel like there's a lot lost in translation and making the words fit to the mouths. I like to hear it in the original script (or well with minor changes for the subtitles) how it was intended to be heard. I'm also a fast reader, so I normally have enough time to read the subtitle and still get a long good look at the scene, so I don't miss much animation.

I also think that there's a lot of bad dubs out there.

Now, don't go off thinking I'm a dub hater. There are times where I prefer dubs. Sometimes a characters voice in the original may be painfully annoying and more bearable in the dub. But remember, this works the other way too. A good example: Relena Peacecraft from Gundam Wing. The character alone makes me want to kill her, her voice added to this and I could literally strangle her (Enough to make me wince at people who cosplay her!). The original Japanese voice, much more bearable! At least in my opinion.

I also do like some Dub voice actors, like Steve Blum and Vic, and I'll generally give a go at animes that they're in.

Another thing to consider is that you can normally get your hands on subed animes long before the dubbing. This is my main point, and has two aspects. Firstly, if the anime isn't licenced in America it's not illegal to download it via file-sharing programs. Since animes normally don't get licenced until after the show's completion (to look at the sucess of the show), minus a few cases where the anime is an instant hit, you can get your hands on it legally for free. Secondly, you can also get it faster. Fansubbers have a turn-around of about a week, maybe less for really popular series. They're normally very good subtitles and you can see the show almost at the same time it's airing. If you wait for the dub it can take up to a year for licencing, casting, recording, and THEN you have to pay for the DVD (at least to get it legally).
Chiaki
Chiaki

http://www.aaapodcast.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lamperouge98 Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:36 am

Yeah, agree with many of those points. As of late, I've been watching a lot of subbed anime, especially because Funimation's youtube channel seems to love putting only four dubbed episodes at all of any given series (which i found really annoying). And yes, Chiaki, Steve Blum is amazing. So is Vic, for that matter. Good call.
lamperouge98
lamperouge98

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMagnificentOne Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm Sub.

It just tends to seem more natural, oddly enough. For many animes that I see, the voice acting feels a little... off. And in some cases it just feels completely wrong.

Plus as it's been said before, you get to see it much faster subbed than dubbed, which is always a plus.

I usually like dubbed though when I am not in the mood to concentrate on the show. Like if I feel like watching anime, but I am doing something else like cleaning up or typing or other stuff where I can't keep my eyes on the screen at all times.
TheMagnificentOne
TheMagnificentOne

Back to top Go down

Post  Lelouch Yagami Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:04 pm

i voted both because I like it either way and maybe ive just been lucky enough to get really good dubbing. or its because i watch so much sub stuff. and the reason i watch sub stuff is because there is so much that hasnt gotten here and is most likely isnt going to get here or i like the dub so much i want to wait for the rest. for example right now i just finished watching Hell Girl season 1 and the dubbing was really good so im going to wait to get the 2nd and 3rd season in english. im even going buy the box set when ever i can.
Lelouch Yagami
Lelouch Yagami

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadaMan Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm slightly more a fan of subbing, since an English dub usually has big shoes to fill after licensing. At the end of the day the worst dug characters I find are the little girls. English dubs come off as annoying to me in the beginning, but I can't really fault the voice actors. Pre-pubescent children simply do not sound like adults (in general terms at least).
But I do enjoy Crispin Freeman whenever he talks (which is often) and whenever Johnny Yong Bosch gets angry (which is also often). Makes me feel all giddy and happy.
CanadaMan
CanadaMan

Back to top Go down

Post  dark_lord_killua Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:39 pm

I SAID dubbed, but I would have said both. I'm with Lamp on that dubs allow you to focus on both the words and what's going on, but more often than not the dubber f-s up the anime and makes the dialogue stupid or cuts parts. That's why I like subs, because you can see the original scenes and read the original words.
dark_lord_killua
dark_lord_killua

http://panahinuva.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lamperouge98 Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Good call, Darklord. While i have stated before that i'm a bigger fan of dubs, I don't mind subs at all. The only thing that gets me about them is when I can only find "fansubs". Take, for example, the last episode of Soul Eater (fantastic anime, by the way). There were more F-bombs than I ever thought possible for an anime. I don't really know if they're actually there or not, but I hate gratuitous swearing (of the S and F variety, damns and hells and asses are still ok) in the subs that I watch. That's really my only big aversion to subs that I find on the internet. Also, sometimes the fonts are impossible to read. If i can find an official sub, I'll watch it, but when most of the time I have to watch these subs that were dragged up from the pits of retardation, it's really tough to get behind them.
lamperouge98
lamperouge98

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMagnificentOne Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Lamperouge, did you switch to a different fansub group for the last episode?
TheMagnificentOne
TheMagnificentOne

Back to top Go down

Post  lamperouge98 Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:03 pm

No. I was watching the same website. I think the site picked these videos up from everywhere, because almost every sub was different.
lamperouge98
lamperouge98

Back to top Go down

Post  Anarchy Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 pm

I voted Subbed, but honestly it depends on the anime, Trigun for example has a great dub, Death Note does as well.
- More Choices
- Generally fits better with ANY given anime.
- Often done better than Dubs.

Cons
- While reading the subs some people can miss out on the animation, or atmosphere of a scene.(This happens to me when watching Ronin Warriors, I can't watch it, And strangely enough it Only happens to me in Ronin Warriors. I think the font for the subs is to small, yes, I'm aware its available dubbed.)
- Some people enjoy what they don't have to read more.

Cons
- It doesn't make sense to watch an anime that pretty much just life in Japan where everyone speaks a foreign language.
- Less to Watch.
- Alot end unfinished.

-

Last edited by Anarchy on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anarchy
Anarchy

Back to top Go down

Dub vs. Sub Empty Hmmmm...

Post  bakuhasu Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Huh... Didn't see this thread...

Forgive me for being preachy. I think the American standard for voice acting is not on par when compared to Japanese. Again Japan has been releasing animation and voice actors are in demand in alot of anime per season. Which brings us to fansubs, in how their efforts have brought forth for you and me to enjoy anime. Sure it's not ethical for the anime economy to do so, but the quality for little fansub groups has done alot when it comes to typesetting, Font, Karaoke translation, raw format, and all that junk pretty much sums up my siding with SUBS.

I find this little article interesting *WARNING LINK IS NSFW*:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/02/22/japanese-prefer-subs-to-dubs-49-vs-47/
bakuhasu
bakuhasu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum