Anime Addicts Anonymous Podcast Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Debate on Diebuster

2 posters

Go down

Debate on Diebuster Empty Debate on Diebuster

Post  Mitsugi Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:28 pm

This is my statement on why I think Diebuster is a bad anime. Note: Ryani please make your statements on the anime before commenting on my statements please.

***SPOILER WARNING***

My main two complaints with Disbuster is that the anime lacks originality and substance. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm very big on originality.

Diebuster is about a country girl named Nono who wants to become a space pilot. I'm going to stop right here and list out all the anime I've seen that centers around a protagonist that wants to be a space pilot. Please note that there are probably dozens upon dozens of other anime that contain this same concept. The anime below are simply the ones I have personally seen:

1. Outlaw Star
2. Voices of a Distant Star
3. Last Exile
4. Gunbuster I
5. Stellvia of the universe
6. Wings of Honneamise
7. Dia-Guard
8. Gundam OO
9. Iria (loosely)
10. Gurren Lagann

Just to comment on Gurren Lagann for a moment, I know both anime are made by Gainax, however isn't it a bit ridiculous how similar these anime are? Nono wanted to go to space, Kamina and Simon wanted to go to the “above world.” Both have almost the exact same animation style, a very episodic structure, and result in space battles with mecha bigger than planets. I didn't care for Gurren Lagann’s chaotic style the first time…

Normally, I think it would be okay for an anime to have a main protagonist with an overused concept, if the other concepts, and the overall plotline were unique and well structured. This also isn't the case here.

The six episode flow of Diebuster provides a “monster of the week” theme, in which a new monster or enemy is presented each episode. The course of each OVA is as follows; characters talk, monster appears, monster is defeated. The final result is that little to no progress is made on the storyline.

The overall plotline of Diebuster can be boiled down to essentially three words: Save the Earth.
I just can't tell you how many times been done in the past. I realize that visually, Diebuster is very exceptional. I will also admit, for one that is so short, the anime is epic. However, to a seasoned anime viewer, and I'm saying I am, this just doesn't cut it. Anime is just like any other medium and must have substance if it is to succeed in the mechanics of storytelling, and an epic feel, can be achieved easily, when the mecha are the size of the universe…

I also want to point out the amount of gratuitous nudity, fan service, and sexual themes that are very out of place in this anime. I want to point out that due to a chance encounter with an actual space pilot Nono finds herself becoming part of an elite Fraternity, made up of teenage pilots called Topless. There are several scenes throughout the course of the OVA where Nono literally rips off her shirt in an effort to become “topless.” (Ironic, I know, but give me a break, the topless? Content like that really reveals this anime for what it is. A glossy ecchi romp.) This also happens in the original Gunbuster, as Noriko rips off her shirt inside the Buster Machine towards the end of the OVA. This to me feels a bit like a transition into Diebuster, which has a far more nudity than Gunbuster. They're also a number of scenes with sexual themes that take place in baths, with the female characters washing themselves, and each other, in full frontal nudity.

I'll admit that from time to time I will watch hentai, however rarely do these types of themes belong in a non-hentai anime. They simply serve to detract, and distract, from the storyline, and serve to add filler to a series that lacks substance, in an attempt to satisfy the viewer.
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Debate on Diebuster Empty Re: Debate on Diebuster

Post  Ryani Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:16 am

Hey, I will reply to this in a couple of days. I'm sorry for the delay. I was going to outline my position . . .but I got sick. And tomorrow I have a lot of last minute packing to do and Tuesday I am traveling 500 miles to school and Wednesday is registration and Thursday is orientation and the start of classes. . .

I'll respond to this ASAP, I'm so sorry, especially since this was my idea - I did not expect to get sick at this time.
Ryani
Ryani

Back to top Go down

Debate on Diebuster Empty No Worries

Post  Mitsugi Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 am

Hey it's alright. Sorry that you're sick. You mentioned orientation, are you starting college?
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryani Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:48 am

Thank you - I think I'll feel better in the morning.

Yeah, this week I'm starting at St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland. I'm exceptionally excited, though you guys may see me around less.

Thanks for understanding - I look forward to getting into this debate, and I wish I had the ability to do so now.
Ryani
Ryani

Back to top Go down

Debate on Diebuster Empty College Schedule

Post  Mitsugi Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:27 am

We are all in Florida, however we have interesting schedules starting soon too.

Valentine also starts college tomorrow, Chiaki is flying to Japan on Saturday for a study abroad and I don't start my second year of Grad school until the middle of september so we are all going back to school!
Mitsugi
Mitsugi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum